An introduction to SEO for beginners
Perhaps the greatest questions that we get from our customers here at BeyondMedia is – what is SEO and how can it work? For organizations that are simply beginning to build their website or experiencing a website redesign, improvement or SEO can feel a bit intimidating.
What is SEO ?
SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” which is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.It is free and organic search results on search engines.
How SEO works
Search engines like Google, Yahoo!, Bing, or anyother search engine you’re using as a website you visit to type any a question into a box and magically replies with a long list of links to webpages that could potentially answer your question.
Google (or any search engine you’re using) has a crawler that goes out and gathers information about all the content they can find on the Internet. The crawlers bring all those 1s and 0s back to the search engine to build an index. That index is then fed through an algorithm that tries to match all that data with your query.
The O part of SEO—optimization—is where the people who write all that content and put it on their sites are gussying that content and those sites up so search engines will be able to understand what they’re seeing, and the users who arrive via search will like what they see.
Optimization can take many forms. It’s everything from making sure the title tags and meta descriptions are both informative and the right length to pointing internal links at pages you’re proud of.
Why is SEO important?
In today’s competitive market, SEO marketing is more important than ever.
Search engines serve millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions or for solutions to their problems.
Search engine optimization is important because:
- The majority of search engine users (more than 65% ) are more likely to click on one of the top 5 suggestions in the search engine results pages.
- Local SEO Means Increased Engagement, Traffic & Conversions
- Users trust search engines and having a presence in the top positions for the keywords the user is searching, increases the web site’s trust.
- SEO is good for the social promotion of your web site.
- SEO can put you ahead of the competition.
- Good SEO Also Means a Better User Experience
- Understanding SEO Helps You Understand the Environment of the Web
Implementing strong, quality SEO on a brand’s website and digital properties is always going to be beneficial to that brand and its marketing efforts.
It’s considered a “new age” marketing technique, but it’s critical to a brand’s web presence in this day and age, especially as available data and rivaling competition continue to increase and grow.